Why is it Gillard VS Rudd rather than Labor vs Liberal? I must say as a person who is constantly looking and working with personal and corporate image brand I wonder who is looking after the Gillard or Rudd image. Let me say from the beginning I am disappointed in both politicians.
Whether you are a teacher, doctor, business person, lecturer or shop assistant you image is vital to your success.
Three equally important key qualities of a professional successful image are:
- Communication and rapport
If you don’t look the part you are not believable and approachable. If you lack communication skills and rapport then your authority is diminished. Finally if you lack confidence and self-esteem it becomes evident in all your actions.
So let’s have a look at Gillard VS Rudd.
- Rudd looks the part. Visually he appears credible and is even smiling, thus approachable. He has patriotically displayed the Australian flag and is wearing an approachable blue coloured tie. Gillard seems to be lacking facial expression. The blank look is making her less appealing to the public. With greenery as her backdrop her appearance seemed confusing.
- Rudd seems to be joking and relaxed in his press conferences. Gillard seems to be serious and constantly defending her actions. She may have the numbers but her self-esteem seems poor.
- Rudd has cleverly calculated what to say and do every step of this possible takeover. Gillard is extinguishing spot fires.
- It is understood in Canberra that Rudd lacks rapport with his colleagues. Many are frustrated by his actions and communication. Gillard, as a person, is much more liked by her colleagues. Yet is this enough to get her to victory on Monday?
Unfortunately with Australia having such a successful economy, and the envy of most others in the western world. It is a shame that Australias are truly embarrassed of all the political parties. The Prime Minister is a position we Australians should be proud of, as their image is closely linked to the credibility of the country and each one of us.
Gillard and Rudd need a makeover on their image. They need to sit down and evaluate why the public see both as poor candidates to lead this country. By rebuilding their image they will gain the respect of their colleagues and that of the voters. And then finally they can get back to running the country.
I often get asked why I don’t you work with politicians? My response is…” I have a respected professional image – why destroy it“.